- Wirraway Training (part of Wirraway Homestead) is a private registered training organisation which provides training and assessment in Certificate III and Certificate IV in Outdoor Recreation (SIS30410,SIS40310). These are nationally recognised qualifications (also delivered by TAFEs) which enable our staff to run activities at the camp. All our staff have either already completed these studies, have qualifications in another area, or are experienced, supervised and ‘in-training’ as they complete these studies. Wirraway Training also has students studying with us from El Shaddai in SA and Mill Valley Ranch in Victoria.
- Students who are not full time staff members. We can take full time students in addition to our staff quota. They work at Wirraway in return for their training. They are required to do at least 20 hours per week to be considered full time by the authorities (eg youth allowance). These students to work at Wirraway for 3 days per week, which includes the formal training time as they learn their skills. Free food and board is provided. To be eligible to be a ’student’ with us, you must be at least 17, turning 18 within 6 months of beginning with us, have completed year 11, and have a Christian faith and a desire to communicate this with others. You will need to pass a National Police Check prior to beginning studies with us (or a Working With Children Check if in Victoria) as you will be placed at Wirraway or one of the other campsites we work with, supervising and instructing children.
- Support: As a caring community, the staff and management at Wirraway will do their best to make you feel welcome. Should you have any serious problems during your time with us, we will do our best to help you through them. We have contact with a number of different experts who we can put you in touch with for counselling, advice and support. Wirraway Training can also be flexible with training and provides help with learning problems that might arise during the year.
- Becoming an Instructor: Outdoor Recreation Certificate III qualifies you to work in a variety of areas at the level where you can run activities in a routine situation under indirect supervision. At Wirraway this includes horseriding, climbing, archery, low ropes, youth work, and working with those with a disability. It is not necessary to work in all these areas to gain the qualification… (i.e. non horsey people can apply!). The qualification is essentially a ‘hands on’ process, with some paperwork (theory sessions on Wednesday afternoons each week of term) and the learning is mostly done ‘on-the-job’ where students are supervised and feedback is provided to help them develop their skills. Certificate IV is more of a junior management level and / or high skill level, designed for those already in the industry who want to work at a higher level of seniority and responsibility.
- Where will this lead? Employment opportunities?: The Certificate III course leads to Certificate IV, which is also available at Wirraway, as well as public (TAFE) and other private Registered Training Organisations. The pathways for continuing to study in this area go through to higher level tertiary courses, or teaching (especially in PE) . You could also find employment working in campsites anywhere in Australia or around the world. Some graduates work in resorts, trail riding organisations (the horsey ones!) or tourism, or become independent outdoor industry activity providers in their own right. Some have started up their own businesses. There are also opportunities to get into the administrative areas of the industry, and events, as well as into youth work.
- How long will it take?: Both courses run for 12 months, and recognition of prior learning is available for those who have had quality prior experience in the area. The Certificate III course is ideal for a ‘gap year’ activity for those planning to go on to other tertiary studies.
- The new Wirraway Training brochure is available to download here It provides an overview of the courses and details of the type of subjects involved. If you want more information, contact us
- Looking for Training Camp information? Click here.